"It takes (at least) two people to think." - Thomas Ogden
You're creative, innovative, a survivor, and have unique perspectives on the world. But low self-esteem drains you, and relationships can sometimes feel overwhelming, exhausting, and confusing. Stress and pressure from family, work, and people you love or want to impress take their toll on you. Your inner critic judges you, your confidence gets low, and you want it to be okay to just be yourself.
But first, you have to find out who you are.
Who I see in my practice:
- Adults who never really got a childhood and have had to grow up too fast.
- Children of narcissistic, neglectful, or closed-off parents.
- People grieving the death of someone they love.
- Folks struggling with alcohol abuse, over-exercising, binge eating, self-punishment, or a mean internal critic.
- Skeptics who have had to build toughness around their sensitivity.
- Worriers who want to help and be loved so much and yet end up draining all their resources.
- People who straddle class, race and gender, who have a unique perspective of living "in between".
- White people waking up to their compliance in a racist system.
- People of color seeking to thrive in spite of traumatizing systems of oppression.
- Therapists and healers who are struggling to navigate their own personal history and internal terrain with that of their clients.
If you realize you can't do it all by yourself,
If you want to feel more connected to others,
If you're feeling stuck in unsatisfying relationships and work,
If you feel beaten up by perfectionism and self-criticism,
If you feel like you've had to grow up too fast,
Call me to find out how I can help.
A key to unlocking your truth is to face the parts of yourself and your history that you have bottled up for so long. I can help you on this journey – you don't have to do it alone.
Our task together is to find out what is alive, and what is stuck, inside of you. I listen to you on many levels in a way you may not have encountered before. My style is collaborative and exploratory. Through our relationship we can uncover old patterns you have of relating that become present in the here-and-now of our therapy work. What you and I create together will never be the same with anyone else. What emerges in our relationship is what needs to be heard inside of you, and I will be there to listen, witness, and share my mind with you.
Through talk therapy, we can go beyond "behavior change" and into what's alive underneath your surface. As we work together, you may discover there are some things in your life you thought you would want to change, but actually you don't. As we both listen in our different ways to your unconscious through dreams, narratives, images, and fantasies, we will work toward uncovering and understanding your internal and external blocks so that you have greater access to yourself. We'll work together to unpack and address who you are in the context of your life, and help you get in touch with your sadness, pain, fears, hope, agency, self-awareness, and resilience.
I support the deep and challenging work of helping you face your fears, get in touch with your emotional life, and help you discover what's going on that made your critical inner voice so powerful. Therapy takes courage. By moving closer to the things you have pushed away, you may feel all those feelings you've tried not to feel. And, you may also uncover a renewed energy and space for creativity, fulfilling relationships, and a balance between play and work.
It's time to stop hiding from the life you really want to live.
Call me or email me for a free phone consultation today.
510-594-4035 or email@example.com
"And the speaking will get easier and easier. And you will find you have fallen in love with your own vision, which you may never have realized you had. And you will lose some friends and lovers.... And new ones will find you and cherish you. ... And at last you'll know with surpassing certainty that only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth. And that is not speaking.” - Audre Lorde